Insecticidal effect of volatile compounds from plant materials of Murraya exotica against Red Imported Fire Ant Workers
Keywords:Volatile compounds, Murraya exotica, Red imported fire ant
The effect of volatile compounds from the mashed fresh, fallen, and dried leaves of Murraya exotica on the behavior of red imported fire ant (Solenopsis invicta, RIFA) workers was investigated by fumigation toxicity bioassay. The volatile compounds from different mashed leaves (fresh, fallen, and dried leaves) of M. exotica were collected by solid-phase microextraction and identified by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry. β-Caryophyllene, α-cedrene, α-copaene, β-cubebene, and germacrene D were identified as major components of the volatile compounds. In exposure time from 1 d to 9 d, the mortality of RIFA increased from 5.00% to 100.00% (fresh leaves), 11.67% to 93.33% (fallen leaves), and 15.00% to 83.33% (dried leaves) in minor workers, whereas in major workers, the increases were from 13.33% to 93.33% (fresh leaves), 6.67% to 83.33% (fallen leaves), and 10.00% to 60.00% (dried leaves). The volatile compounds reduced the walking and grasping abilities and aggregation rate of RIFA workers. Results indicate that mashed leaves of M. exotica have potential for controlling RIFA.
How to Cite
Sociobiology is a diamond open access journal which means that all content is freely available without charge to the user or his/her institution. Users are allowed to read, download, copy, distribute, print, search, or link to the full texts of the articles in this journal without asking prior permission from the publisher or the author. This is in accordance with the BOAI definition of open access.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).